The Teacher Training Department offers a three year Diploma programme for those who wish to become primary school teachers. This course is offered in association with the Midlands State University and is accredited by the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development. The course starts every January. Applications are taken between June and August each year.
With emphasis on mentoring, the programme seeks to produce primary school teachers that are well-rounded, equipped with the required knowledge, nurtured in their practice and encouraged to allow God and God’s Word be the benchmark by which they determine the values and principles each will uphold as they teach, as they interact with their pupils and as they establish relationships within their school community. Gateway graduates are also trained to participate effectively on the sports field as the programme also includes training in the coaching of at least 2 different sporting disciplines.
THE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION (PRIMARY)
This course is offered in association with the Midlands State University. It is accredited by the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development.
The programme is designed to produce well rounded sports coaches with in depth theoretical and practical knowledge of sports, instruction and management thereof.
The 3 year course starts every January. Applications are taken between June and August each year. Lectures are conducted at GCTC. In between lectures and assignments students are attached to a school where they will be supervised and assessed by our staff and external assessors.
The onus lies with the student to find placement for their Teaching Practice.
- To provide student teachers with experience for the acquisition of a positive, sound philosophy of education
- To cultivate the ability to teach effectively using a variety of methods, strategies and techniques
- Assist students to become self-sufficient and innovative in their teaching in the secondary school
- To develop the skills and knowledge that will enable students to contribute meaningfully to the development of curriculum in a dynamic education environment of Zimbabwe
- To increase a committed and more skilled human resources base for the secondary school sector
The 3 year programme follows a format where student teachers come to GCTC for a certain number of weeks for lectures and then, after a period, are released into their schools of attachment for a guided period of Teaching Practice. This format occurs throughout the years of training. The onus lies with the student teacher to find a placement for their Teaching Practice. Whilst on Teaching Practice, the student teacher will be supervised and assessed by our staff and external assessors. The year is divided into three terms in keeping with school terms as prescribed by the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education.
- A minimum of 5 ‘O’ Levels at Grade C or better including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject.
- Application letters must be accompanied by certified copies of a completed application form, school certificates, CV and ID.
- Application period: June to August. Intakes begin every January.
Diploma Subjects include:
|Art and Design
|National and Strategic Studies
|Professional Studies Syllabus A
|Professional Studies Syllabus B
|Religious and Moral Education
|Health and Life Skills
|Information Communication Technology
|Theory of Education
Look out for the Diploma in Education (Early Childhood Development) coming soon. Register your interest with our office today.
Call us on 04 – 333760 / 303143 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org